Sunday, September 22, 2013

Dear Dad,

It's been three years since you left. A lot has happened.

Before I start telling you about it, let me say, I love you, I miss you, I think about you every single day.

Shalee and I have two little girls now. Amaya is 15 months old. She has a smile that brightens even the darkest days. She is just learning how to be silly and it's pretty cute. She is very ticklish, I know you would like that. Her middle name is Gwen, after Mom obviously. She loves to sing, and has no fear to chase with her brothers.

Gracelyn will be one in December. She is such a happy little girl. She likes to make faces and tag along after her siblings. She is also our little cleaning crew, nothing on the floor stays there for very long. When she was born, she looked a lot like me and had several of your facial expressions. More and more each day, she looks like mom.

Hadley and Blake are doing great. Hadley started kindergarten this year and Blake goes to pre-school. They both love to learn. They are constantly making up games to play with one another. They would love to spend more time outside if I could ever get the yard finished. The boys have both grown a lot, but I think you would be amazed with how far Hadley has come. He knows so much.

I became a banker. Yeah, I know, you can't figure our why I would do that. Believe ir or not, I really love it. I work for a great company and along side some exceptional people. I hope to be half as good as you someday.

I'm worried about somethings too. My boys ask about you less and less all the time. Thankfully, Shalee put up a picture wall downstairs, so at least they can see you. I don't want them to forget about you. I wish my girls could have known you. I do everything I can to tell them about you, but I worry that it won't be enough. I do think that sometimes, you and Mom come visit and play with my kids while they sleep. I hope that is true. I want so much for them to know you.

I don't think I have totally gotten to the "ok" place after you and mom passed away. Not sure I will or that I am supposed to. Some days are easier than others, but every day, I miss you. I wish I could call and tell you about my successes, or ask about my challenges. There are still days when I feel you near enough that I am certain that you will come walking through my front door. Thank you for being close to me.

Life is good for us. We are happy. We have a beautiful home and more importantly, a beautiful family to fill it with.

I know that you know these things already, but I wanted to say them to you myself.

I miss you.


2 comments:

Shalee said...

This is painfully beautiful.

Suzy said...

Nicely written, Dan. So sweet and honest. Now pass me a kleenex, please!