Sunday, September 4, 2011

Update/Review/Random

So here's the skinny, Life is good. Been at my new job for just over three months now. It's pretty great. My boss is very cool. Just an example of his niceness, when i asked for a day off to be at Primary Children's with Shalee and Hadley, he asked, how many days they would need to be there total and then when he found out it was more than one, insisted that i take at least two days.  Very refreshing to me. I think i'm doing ok there, still learning a lot and really trying to work hard to be successful. 


Our new home is done, and it's wonderful. I have a hard time believing that this beautiful place is ours. It's overwhelming at times, but in a good way. The extra space is nice. The only downside I have found so far is that the boys think they must wake up at 5:30 or 6:00 every morning, not sure why, but it's been consistent since we moved here. I'm not a morning person. We miss our old ward, but love our new ward lots.


I figured with only four months of the year left, it would be a good time to review the goals I set for myself and update progress as well as (mostly) recommit myself to accomplishing them. Here goes:


1-Be a kinder, more patient husband and father. (Trying really hard, some days I feel like I'm doing really good, others not so much)

2-Quit the paper route. Done!!

3-Start my own insurance office. (Not going to happen. I am totally committed to being the coolest banker who ever lived, well, second coolest.)

4-Generate some amount of income from writing, doesn't have to be lots, just some. (Not sure how to count this one, the New Era published one of my stories, but they bought it last year, I'm working on a couple of pitches for Deseret Book, so if either of those get picked up, I'll let you know.)

5-Write down the fireside I have been building in my head and find at least one place to present it. (Not done yet. Refined, yet still in my noggin.)
6-Lose weight. (One would have to actually weigh themselves at least twice during the course of the year to measure this goal, I have yet to step on a scale in 2011, so more to come on this one.)

7-Attend an open try out for the Major Leagues (I didn't go to the open tryout in July as planned, with the new house, training for the new job happening that same week, I just let this one go. Maybe I'll see if there's ever an open workout with the Chukars in Idaho Falls, now really a tryout, but I'd still be on the field with professional athletes.

8-Focus more on spiritual things. (Fail. The year isn't over. Been a lot of the good, better, best dillema. I'll do better.)



9-Audition for a reality or game show. (Not yet. I need to record an audition tape and send it in to a show, just need to make the time.)

10-Finish the manuscript for at least one of the several religious books I have started to write. (Not only is this not done, but I have about 18 billion new ideas for more religious books, yeah, I lack focus in a massive way.)

11-Pay off all our debt except the house. (Pretty close on this one, I think we'll make it by the end of the year.)

12-Be a better home teacher. (Can I pass? To be honest, I don't think I've been home teaching since dad passed away, that'll be a whole year this month. Just haven't felt the desire. I have committed to doing it once my new ward gives me a route, remains to be seen.)

13-Do some voice over work for something, somewhere. (Hasn't happened yet. Several radio personalities come into the bank on a regular basis, so maybe I'll try to mooch.)



There you go. I would set a goal to blog more regularly, but then I would just have one more goal to feel crappy about not accomplishing. I shall blog again, maybe, sometime, eventually.

2 comments:

Suzy said...

Good to hear from you Dan! New job sounds awesome, as well as the house...happy for you guys!

Shalee said...

Welcome back to blogworld....

You are awesome. I love you.