Thursday, September 22, 2011

9/22/2011

I have been thinking for a long time about what if anything to say today. It would seem unfair of me to let the day pass unrecognized, or more importantly, not pay my Dad the respect he deserves.

He was the man who had at least on of everything, so shopping for his gifts usually presented a problem.

He could fix anything, and figure out any problem. He was always sharing that knowledge with anyone who needed help. On more that one occasion he was at my house late at night, fixing whatever had broken.

He loved his kids and grand kids more than i think any of us ever knew.

He loved his wife completely. He was committed to her comfort and care no matter the cost, financially or emotionally.

When he smiled, you knew that he was thinking something hilarious. The glint in his eye and the slight upturn of the corners of his mouth meant you would be laughing healthily.

He was a great story teller, especially when it involved embarrassing stories about his kids.

He knew the gospel. He didn't talk about it often, but he lived it. Especially service to others.

He was the best at what he did. Not only from the lips from his kids, but also from his coworkers, and most importantly, his customers.

He was stubborn, usually to the point of hilarity or insanity on the part of the other person.

He despised going to the doctor more than I do.

I could write all day and then again all the next day, but I need to get ready for work, and spend some time with my wife and kids this morning.

Dad, I miss you. I think about you everyday. I'm glad you and Mom are together. I'm trying my best to live a life that would make you proud.

2 comments:

Shalee said...

I love this.

tyler, terrah, miles and gavin said...

This is awesome, Dan. I know your dad is proud of you.